Find the right Medicare coverage for you in Virginia
Get information about the types of Medicare coverage and learn how Virginia Premier can help you with a health plan that meets your healthcare needs.
See what 2020 plans are available in your area:
Why Choose Virginia Premier?
Virginia Premier has been serving the health care needs of Virginians for over 30 years. We understand the opportunities and health care challenges of this community. That’s why we’re bringing you quality, affordable Medicare Advantage plans at competitive rates with personalized care and service.
2020 Medicare Advantage Star Rating
Medicare Enrollment Periods
The Annual Enrollment Period runs each year from October 15 to December 7. During this time:
- Anyone with Medicare Parts A & B can switch to a Part C plan
- Anyone with Medicare Part C can switch back to Parts A & B
- Anyone who has or is signing up for Medicare Parts A or B can join, drop or switch a Part D prescription drug plan
- Anyone with Medicare Part C can switch to a new Part C plan
You may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) under certain circumstances.
You may be able to apply for Medicare or change plans outside of the regular enrollment periods. For example, if you move to a part of the country that your current plan doesn’t cover, you can enroll in a new plan. This is just one type of SEP. Coverage is effective the first of the month following your change.
The Open Enrollment Period runs each year from January 1 through March 31.
During this time, you can make a one-time change to your coverage into a “like plan”. For instance, you can move from one Medicare Advantage plan with prescription drug coverage (MAPD plan) to another MAPD plan, or to Original Medicare with a Part D prescription drug plan. The coverage is effective the first of the month following your change.
The Initial Enrollment Period is the first time you can sign up for Medicare. You may join Medicare Parts A, B, C and D during:
- The three months before your 65th birthday
- The month of your birthday
- Three months after your birthday
Ready to Enroll?
Enrolling in Virginia Premier is easy and convenient, and any information you share with us is kept secure and strictly confidential.
When you enroll, have your red, white and blue Medicare ID card available. If you don’t have your Medicare ID card, contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 or (TTY: 1-800-325-0778). Ask the SSA for your name as it appears in their records, and for the effective dates for your Medicare coverage.
Print and complete the enrollment application and mail it us at:
Virginia Premier – Enrollment, P.O. Box 4310, Richmond, Va 23220
What to Expect After Enrolling
Once you’ve enrolled with us, we will:
- Confirm your enrollment with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Send your ID card, which you should use for all your doctor visit.
- Send plan documents detailing your benefits and other plan information.
Get a Free Enrollment Information Book
When you are looking to enroll in a Medicare plan, it’s important to understand all of your options.
Call 833-820-1188 (TTY:711) Monday through Friday, 8 am – 8 pm to receive your free enrollment information book.
The enrollment book includes:
- An overview of Medicare
- A summary of benefits
- Additional benefits you receive when you enroll in a Virginia Premier Medicare Advantage plan
- Information about prescription drugs and over-the-counter medications
- How to enroll and more