When you trust Virginia Premier for health coverage, you benefit from our more than 20 years’ experience providing quality programs and services.
The Virginia Premier Elite Family (Medallion FAMIS) plan helps ensure children receive the healthcare needed from infancy their teenage years. FAMIS coverage includes in-network doctor visits, emergency care and prescriptions. There are no copays during the COVID-19 public health emergency. There are no monthly premiums. Healthy living is easier with extra benefits like our 24/7 Nurse Advice Line, incentives for well visits and special wellness programs for kids and teens. En español.
To qualify for Virginia Medicaid, the child must:
- be under age 19
- live in Virginia
- be a U.S. citizen or lawfully residing immigrant
- live in a family meeting Virginia’s income rules
Applying for Medicaid in Virginia is open all year long. There are several ways to apply:
- Online: Visit virginia.gov
- Phone: Call Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282
- In Person: Visit your local Department of Social Services (DSS). Office locations.
How to choose Virginia Premier
The Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS) will send a letter with an automatic health plan assignment when the child’s application goes through.
If Virginia Premier is already listed as the health plan in the letter, the member ID card will be mailed separately.
If Virginia Premier was not assigned, it is easy to switch to us. Here’s how:
- Call the Managed Care Help Line at 1-800-643-2273 (TTY/TDD: 1-800-817-6608).
- Have the child’s Medicaid ID number on hand.
- Tell them you want to switch the health plan to Virginia Premier.
You have up to 90 days to switch. After that, you may switch to Virginia Premier when it is time for open enrollment where you live. View regions.
Virginia Medicaid FAMIS coverage plus Virginia Premier extra benefits
Here are just some of the benefits offered from Virginia Premier Elite Family.
- Members get access to quality doctors and medical facilities through the Virginia Premier provider network. Check our Provider Directory search tool to find doctors and specialists or pharmacies, urgent cares and hospitals in your area.
- Urgent Care: Urgent care visits for serious medical conditions that are not life threatening are covered.
- Emergency Care: Hospital visits for emergencies and anything life threatening are covered, including transportation.
- Chronic Disease Management: A dedicated registered nurse offers personal coaching to help manage chronic conditions. The nurse can help with taking advantage of benefits, connecting to services and developing an action plan to manage symptoms.
- Behavioral health services: Services and treatment options for conditions such as depression, anxiety or other mental health issues.
Routine eye exam once every 24 months and reimbursed amounts for glasses (frames and lenses) or contacts.
- Virginia Premier covers medications prescribed by your doctor, including some over-the-counter drugs with a prescription. Learn more.
- Virginia Premier’s Nurse Advice Line is ready to help when medical advice is needed right away.
- A registered nurse will always answer.
- Call 1-800-256-1982 (TTY: 711) 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
- Free Cell Phone: Members get a free cell phone with 350 voice minutes, 1 GB of data, and unlimited free texts each month through WellPass wireless.
- Health and Wellness Programs: Premier Wellness is a free program for members covering nutrition, exercise, wellness, and being smoke-free.
- Healthy Footsteps℠: Virginia Premier’s program supporting the healthy development of children.
- Health Self℠: Virginia Premier’s screening, diagnosis and treatment program for teens and young adults.
- Sports Physicals: Free for members under age 21 and members in foster care up to age 26 every year.
Healthy Heartbeats Program: Our team works closely with you over the phone or in your home to help you have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby through our award-winning Healthy Heartbeats program.
- Baby Showers: Have fun and learn about healthy pregnancy tips and resources. There is a diaper bag raffle and all attendees get a care package full of baby basics.
- Healthy Incentives: Earn incentives for taking care of yourself.
- Text4Baby: Free text messages with health tips helping you through pregnancy, birth, and your baby’s first year.
- Supplies and services: Members have access to a free breast pump, lactation consultant, prenatal classes, parenting classes and family planning.
All Virginia Premier members have access to our online member portal. It is an easy way to:
- Check benefit information
- Take a Health Risk Assessment
- Use the Health Tracker tools
- Communicate with a Health Educator
- Reference a health library
- Search health topics
- Complete an initial brief screening
For a full list of each plan’s benefits, see our Medallion/FAMIS Member Handbook (PDF).
You may also contact our Member Services department at 1-800-727-7536 (TTY: 711) with any questions, Monday through Friday, 8:00 to 8:00 pm.
Already a member?
Take advantage of the resources available. Visit our member’s page.
Report Personal Info Changes. The state needs to know when a child’s address, phone number or household’s income changes. First, contact your local Department of Social Services office and let them know about the changes. Then, tell Virginia Premier by calling Member Services at 1-800-727-7536 (TTY: 711) Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.
Time to Renew? The state will send a letter in the mail when it is time to renew the child’s Medicaid coverage for the year. The letter will explain what steps to take, if any. The state may process many renewals automatically. During the COVID-19 public health emergency, FAMIS members will not lose coverage for failing to submit renewal paperwork.
Free and reduced-cost services in your community
There’s more to staying healthy than just seeing the doctor. That’s why we’re partnering with Aunt Bertha, the nation’s largest free online directory of community organizations.
Virginia Premier members can use Aunt Bertha’s online search tool to get help with housing, employment, transportation, food and more. Just enter your ZIP code to find local resources and programs that are ready to lend a hand.
Helping people is what we do best
Questions? We have a friendly team of experts just a phone call away. Call 1-800-727-7536 (TTY: 711) Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. We also offer free translator services.