Are you and your doctor on the same page with your medications? Getting the right prescription drugs and taking them properly are important to staying healthy.
If you’re suffering side effects from a medication, let your doctor know right away, so they can help you. And if you’re not sure why you’ve been prescribed a drug, ask your doctor to explain.
You should follow your doctor’s instructions on taking your medications. But you should also fill them in on how those medications are affecting you. Without your feedback, it’s harder for your doctor to choose the right medicine for you.
Here are some tips if you have to keep track of a lot of medications:
- Set a routine for when you take each medication; say, breakfast, noon,
before bed, etc.
- Make a list of all the drugs you take. This list will be helpful to you and your doctor.
- Use pill boxes to organize your medications. There are many boxes that have compartments for the day of the week and the time of day.
- Your Virginia Premier benefits let you use certain mail order pharmacies. Mail order pharmacies can send your medications to you, so you don’t have to run to the pharmacy or even miss a dose. They can also save you money.
- Ask your pharmacy if they can sign you up for refill reminders. They can probably send you a reminder by phone, text or email.
Your pharmacy benefits
Learn more about different plan options and pharmacy benefits