The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a Pfizer Inc./BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for individuals 16 years of age and older, and a Moderna COVID-19 vaccine for individuals 18 years of age and older.
These vaccines have been reported to be roughly 95% effective in preventing symptomatic COVID-19 infections. Both vaccines will require two doses, the initial dose and a repeat vaccination three or four weeks later.
Here is what you need to know:
- Both doses of the COVID-19 vaccines will be given at no cost to members.
- Members will likely to experience mild symptoms, including muscle pain at the injection site, low-grade fever, and/or headache have been reported during the first few days after vaccination.
- Because initial supplies of the COVID-19 vaccine will be limited, the Virginia Department of Health (VHP) plans to adopt the recommendation from the CDC and Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) to distribute the vaccine in phases:
- Phase 1 will include high-risk healthcare personnel and staff (emergency department staff, COVID-19 patient units, EMS), and residents of long- term care facilities (nursing homes).
- Phase 2 will include other workers in essential industries, people with medical issues that put them at high-risk for COVID-19, and people 65 years and older.
- Phase 3 includes the remaining general population.
Virginia Premier is actively monitoring the situation and will provide more detailed information as it becomes available.
Additional Resources that you may want to consult: