Are you afraid of falling? If you’re an older adult, consider taking a yoga class. It provides many different health benefits, including improved balance.
What can yoga do for me?
Regardless of what age you start to practice yoga, here are some benefits you can expect:
- Over time, yoga increases flexibility through stretching
- The slow and measured movements of yoga can help you build strength, have better balance and prevent falls
- Practicing yoga regularly can help to lubricate and protect your joints
- Yoga can boost the brain levels of a chemical called GABA, which helps to reduce anxiety and boost your mood
- The focus on the breath and synchronized movement helps to keep the mind clear and engaged
What is needed to get started?
You don’t need a lot of equipment to get started. You will want to have:
- A form-fitting shirt
- Exercise pants
- No shoes (yoga is practiced barefoot)
- A yoga mat to provide traction
Talk to your doctor before starting an exercise regime, such as yoga. It takes time to build muscle, and they can advise on the best workout schedule for you.