During the 2018 Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) survey Virginia Premier identified two areas of opportunity specifically noted in the National Committee for Quality Assurance’s (NCQA) Customer Service Composite Measure related to communication and respect.
Interventions noted by the NCQA that can improve communication and respect during member interactions include:
- Providing explanations for members and patients to understand
- Listening carefully to members and patients.
- Showing respect for what members and patients have to say through active listening
- Ensuing that members’/patients’ concerns and questions are addressed.
- Ensuring that treatment plans fit a patient’s values, lifestyle and circumstances
About the CAHPS Survey
The Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) survey is a set of questions used to discover how members feel about their health care. It allows health plans, providers, and accrediting agencies to know how we’re doing, and how providers are meeting health care needs. The survey asks about access to medical services and provider communication skills.
If you have questions or concerns regarding the CAHPS survey, or modalities you can institute to improve communication and respect within your daily practices, please contact Virginia Premier’s Quality Department at 1-800-819-5151 ext. 38008.
National Committee for Quality Assurance. (2019). Customer Service. Retrieved from https://www.ncqa.org/report-cards/health-plans/state-of-health-care-quality-report/customer-service/
National Committee for Quality Assurance. (2019). Consumers. Retrieved from https://www.ncqa.org/consumers/