Start Taking Control of Your Care


Sometime between your 18th and 21st birthdays, you should start to take more control over your health care. Essentially, this means switching from a pediatrician (a doctor for children and teens) to a doctor who cares for adults. 

How you can switch to your new doctor:

    • First, start to look for a new doctor. You can use our online Find a Doctor tool to see all of the doctors available in our network. It’s a long list, so give us a call. We can help narrow down your search.
    • Then, get a copy of your immunization (shots) record from your pediatrician. You’ll need to show it to your new doctor. If you’re not up to date on your shots, then your new doctor can help you get caught up.
    • After you select one, transfer your medical records to your new doctor. Your pediatrician can help you with this. You may need to sign an authorization form.
    • Finally, schedule your first appointment with your new doctor. Make sure you bring your insurance card, treatment histories and immunization record.

If you have any more questions, or you’d like a little more help, talk with your pediatrician about transitioning your care. They’ll be able to walk you through the steps.

Or you can give us a call at 1-800-727-7536. We’re available Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm.

NOTE: If you take any medications, make sure you have enough until your next appointment with your new doctor. This is because there may be a short gap before you’re able to see your new doctor. And that doctor will want to talk with you first before writing a prescription.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on print